Getting Your Driver's Licence

Once you have reached the age of 17 years, you may apply for your Learners Permit and eventually your Drivers Licence. Here is the step by step guide for obtaining your Drivers Licence.

A beginner must have a Learner’s Licence in order to be allowed on the public roadways legally. The Learner’s permits an unlicenced individual to operate a motor vehicle on the public roads while under the supervision of a licenced driver.

Visit the TAJ's website click here 

To obtain a Learner’s Licence:

  • The applicant must be over 17 years old.
  • Take two valid passport sized photographs, signed by a Justice of the Peace, a Minister of Religion or a Superintendent of Police,
  • Take along your TRN, to the tax office closest to where you live.
  • Pay a fee of $1,800, after which you will be presented with your Provisional Licence.

After obtaining your provisional licence and completing the driving lessons you must then take a driving test to determine your competence. You first need to pay the driver’s licence examination fee of $2,700 at the Tax Office or the nearest examination depot (debit/credit card only) and procure a receipt.

There are various categories of Driver’s Licence:

  1. Motorcycle Licence: A person holding a motorcycle licence can only operate a motorcycle.
  2. Private Licence: Private licences come in two classifications - automatic transmission only and standard/automatic motor cars. A person holding a private licence is allowed to drive only a motor car.
  3. General Licence: A person holding a general licence is allowed to drive trucks, public passenger vehicles (PPV), and commercial vehicles. However, a person cannot drive a PPV unless it is stipulated on the licence. Additionally, thedriver must be at least 21years old.

**Please note that a General Licence application must be signed by a medical doctor, while this is not required for a Private Licence.

After passing the driving examIn the case of Kingston and St Andrew you must inform the Examination Depot which tax office to send your Certificate of Competence to. For the other parishes the certificate will be forwarded to the tax office in the parish capital.For example, in the case of St Catherine it would be sent to the Spanish Town Revenue Service Centre (RSC).

Once the Competence Certificate has been forwarded to the Tax Office you are required to pay the relevant drivers licence fee. You will then be photographed and the licence issued.

The fee you pay is dependent upon the licence granted.For a General Licence, the fee is $7,000, while the Private Licence attracts a fee of $5,400. The Motorcycle Licence fee is $4,140.